20 Questions with Drew Barrymore
It’s easy to forget that at one time, Drew Barrymore was viewed as a cautionary tale. Following E.T., Barrymore was a sought-after child star. But at a young age, she was partying harder than a lot of grown-ups. Eventually, she cleaned up her act and became a successful movie star and producer. But for a while, that seemed unlikely. In the August 1990 issue of Movieline, the magazine played 20 questions with the actress who had recently sobered up and lost some baby weight.
When asked about her next movie, Barrymore says it’s a movie called Tipperary. As it turns out, this movie didn’t do much to reestablish Barrymore’s career. It sat on a shelf for several years before being released under the name No Place To Hide. This article also include a couple of blind gossip items. I can guess who the second one is, but I’m stumped on the first. Guesses in the comments section.
Spoiled, pudgy, addicted and wild used to be our perception of actress Drew Barrymore–that is until we met her, and found her slim, radiant, cleaned-up and trying to move on with her life.
1. HOLLYWOOD KIDS: What was your very first acting job?
DREW BARRYMORE: Most people assume it was E.T., but actually I’d been acting for six years. I believe the very first job was a Gaines-Burger commercial and I was 11 months old!
2. It’s amazing how slim and sexy you are. Did you have liposuction?
I don’t think they perform lipo on 15-year-olds, do they? I’ve heard all the rumors but the truth is I lost 35 pounds on my own; no lipo, no drugs, no fat farm.
3. What has been the Best and Worst part about being “Barrymore”?
Best: I’m proud of them and I want to carry on the acting tradition. Worst: All the people who come up to me and say, “I knew your grandfather John Barrymore, and he was so drunk one night…”
4. You live with your cool mom Jaid who raised you, but where is your dad, John Barrymore, Jr.?
I have no idea… your guess is as good as mine!
5. What’s the one thing that’s always in your fridge?
6. How did you land the part of “Gertie” in E.T.?
I originally went to audition for Poltergeist but director Steven Spielberg saw me and realized I would be better suited for E.T.
7. Tell us something about Spielberg that most of us don’t know.
Steven’s really a little kid!
8. What was the first thing you bought yourself when all the E.T. bucks came pouring in? (laughing)
What bucks? I never made a cent from E.T. except from my contract. No one knew that this $9 million movie was going to end up being the biggest-grossing film in history! The money I did make all went to buy drugs, I’m sorry to say.
9. Do you remember your first drink?
I was eight years old and I was at a Hollywood party, when someone dared me to down two glasses of champagne… naturally I passed out.
10. Of all the stars you’ve ever met, who Most and Least impressed you?
Most: Kim Basinger, sweet, funny and intelligent. Least: Elizabeth McGovern, yuck!
11. What was the most trouble you ever got into?
One time in New York I stole my mom’s credit card, flew back to L.A. with my friend, stole my mom’s car and ended up getting in an auto accident on Melrose! Is that good enough for you?
12. Sounds like a day in the life. Now that you’re clean, how has your social life changed?
I used to wake up at 4 p.m., do drugs, and then go clubbing until 6 a.m. Now I still love to go out but I come home at a respectable hour, eat good, get enough sleep. There’s no drugs, no booze, but there will always be the temptation.
13. We heard Shelley Long, who played your mom, was a horror on the set of Irreconcilable Differences.
I really had a lot of fun making that movie. As for Shelley, well, she was nice to me anyway.
14. Do you do your part for the environment?
I sure as hell do! Did you know that you should cut up the plastic tops on the six-pack soda cans, because if they find their way into the ocean the seals get caught in them?
15. Put a quick description after each star’s name.
Jeff Bridges = “Sexy”
Farrah Fawcett = “Bubbly”
Prince = “Way out there”
Dweezil Zappa = “Outrageous”
Johnny Depp = “Beautiful”
Winona Ryder = “No comment”
16. You dated teen star Corey Feldman. A major mistake?
Corey is a good guy but totally messed up. Besides, there really wasn’t anything to our relationship, if you get my drift?
17. Do you smoke cigarettes?
Yes, Marlboro reds. It’s my one bad habit. I’ve smoked for the last six years!
18. Tell us about your new movie.
It’s an action/thriller called Tipperary. I play a wise-mouth street girl who meets up with a cop (played by Kris Kristofferson) who is tracking a killer.
19. Rumor has it that you have a tattoo?
Yes, I got one almost a year ago. I got a baby red rose down, well, let’s just say it’s near my belly button.
20. What color toilet paper do you use?
Soft White Cloud!
GUESS WHO/DON’T SUE
WHILE MR. HOLLYWOOD ROCK STAR was on tour, squiring that sexy magazine pin-up all over the country, his model girlfriend was back in Bev Hills washing diapers. But don’t despair–things have a way of working out. When Mr. Rock Star flew Missy Pin-Up down to Brazil for some passion, she promptly dumped him for a local coke dealer.
MR. BRAT PACK ACTOR was spotted slinking into a local drugstore. No one recognized him (maybe because his last three films have done less than zero at the box office), but we kept our eyes on him. He picked up a hairbrush, and slipped past the cash register without paying. Geez, guy, the brush only cost $2.99. Guess he just doesn’t have any class.